Walkers allow elderly folks who have difficulty in walking to move about easily and safely once more. It lets them enjoy life and just take control of it. If you find looking for great walkers a challenge, let this guide steer you to the right device.
- What are the different kinds of walkers?
Answer: There are three basic type of walkers and they are the following:
• Regular – The regular walker is a minimal frame which comes with 4 legs with rubber tips on them. Users lean on this walker for support. This type is lightweight and is typically made from aluminum. Ideal for individuals who cannot put weight on their legs because of injuries.
• Front-wheeled – The front-wheeled kind looks like a regular walker but it comes with non- rotating wheels on its front legs. The included wheels make using the walker on uneven surfaces easier.
• Rollator – The rollator kind comes with 3-4 wheels together with brakes that can be operated by hand. Ideal for individuals who have good balance and only need minimal support. Some include built-in seats or storage pouch/baskets.
- How much does a walker usually cost?
Answer: In general, you will spend between 40-150 dollars on a walker, based on the kind of walker you pick. The regular ones are more affordable while rollators are the costliest out of the bunch. Walkers can be covered by Medicare in the event that your healthcare provider considers the device as a medical necessity.
- Are walkers foldable?
Answer: Lots of walker models are designed to be foldable for convenience. If space at home is a concern, you can opt for a foldable walker model.
- What factors should I consider when buying an upright walker?
Answer: Firstly, you need to consider the build quality of the walker. The walker should be made from top-grade materials which can tolerate heavier weight and shock from uneven surfaces without breaking down prematurely.
Check if the model has an excellent braking system with secure and easy to use castors. If the user wants to use it while traveling, then look for a good foldable walker. Comfort is a must for the elderly so look for walkers with back support and adjustable handle height. If the user plans on keeping some items handy while using the device, consider a model which includes convenient, accessible storage systems.
Our Top Picks
Drive Medical Two Button Folding Universal Walker with 5″ Wheels
- 28.75-38.5” height adjustments
- Adjustable side brace
- Simple push button mechanism
- Strong, high-grade anodized aluminum construction
The Drive Medical Two Button Folding Universal Walker assures durability and safety due to its anodized, high-grade aluminum construction while being lightweight at the same time. The walker also includes 5-inch caster wheels and an adjustable height feature for comfortable, ergonomic use. The side brace adjusts as well with the height for excellent stability. The unit contains glide covers, rear glide caps and wheels for an effortless stroll over majority of surfaces. See how this works in this review.
Carex Folding Walker for Seniors – Adult Walker – Portable Medical Walker with Adjustable Height, 30-37 Inches
- Folds easily for storage and transport
- Adjusts from 30-37”
- Removable sides
- Suits most heights
The Folding Walker from Carex provides excellent assistance for the elderly. Standing and walking is made easier with the help of this walker. The device comes with marked peg holes for height adjustments. It also folds down for convenient storage and transportation. Another plus of this walker is that its sides are detachable so it can be stored in cramped spaces. If space at home is an issue, this walker is a great choice. See more of this walker in this review.
Drive Medical Side Style Hemi One Arm Walker, Chrome, Adult
- Designed for one-handed use
- Lightweight and stable
- Easily folds down
- Sturdy aluminum material
The Drive Medical Side Style Hemi One Arm Walker is made for individuals who do not really require a walker, but need a broad support base. This model is a great solution since it gives more stability than a cane. It is also more lightweight compared to regular walkers. The design is meant for one-handed operations and is made from high-quality, strong aluminum for longer-lasting use.
Drive Medical Aluminum Rollator Walker Fold Up and Removable Back Support, Padded Seat, 6″ Wheels, Red
- 2-in-1 rollator (Junior and Adult)
- Self-threading knob for simple height adjustments
- Includes storage compartment
- Foldable model with serrated brakes
The Drive Medical Aluminum Rollator Walker is a foldable, 2-in-1 rollator model with some interesting convenient features that you might need. The rollator has two modes; one for junior use and one for adults, hence it’s a 2-in-1 model. The device also comes with a cushioned seat, storage compartment, caster wheels, serrated brakes and a detachable back support. It answers your safety and ergonomic questions so know more about this rollator in this review.
Hugo Mobility Portable Rollator Walker with Seat, Backrest and 8 Inch Wheels
- Comes with cushioned backrest
- Includes hidden storage
- Bigger 8-inch wheels
- 300 lbs. weight capacity
The bigger wheels of the Hugo Mobility Portable Rollator Walker allow it to traverse various surfaces. It has a weight capacity of 300 lbs. so it can easily comply with different heights. It also includes a padded backrest and built-in seat plus adjustable handle bars to then again correspond well with a good range of heights. The ergonomic hand grips also make using the walker a more comfortable, rewarding experience. Get more insight in this review.
Give your elderly loved ones the best care you can offer. Provide reliable, high-quality walkers for them and let them bask in their newfound mobility. We hope our guide has helped you in selecting a walker that best provides the features you or your loved ones need.