Looking for the perfect travel mug is a serious matter. Keep plunking your money on low-quality, cheap ones and you will notice you need to frequently replace damaged mugs. More than you think goes into producing quality travel mugs. To spot quality mugs, better read our guide for some helpful information, and then choose from the product recommendations that we’ve put together based on our extensive research.
- What is the difference between a standard mug and a travel mug?
Answer: Standard mugs are often used at home, in the office and various restaurants and cafes. Travel mugs are designed for travels by car, buses, trains and boats.
- What materials are slippers usually made of?
Answer: Here are some of the common travel mug types:
• Stainless steel – Designed to maintain the hotness and coldness of beverages for an extended period of time. Fits most car beverage holders.
• Insulated stainless steel – Maintains cold drinks chillier up to 12 hours, retains flavor and freshness as well.
• Plastic – Made with hard plastic, durable, lightweight, easy to clean and ideal for children and the elderly.
- What factors do I need to consider when buying travel mugs?
Answer: You need to consider the amount of beverage you will imbibe between refills, if you are into hot, very hot or cold beverages, the material the mug was made of, the mechanism of the lid and the manner in which it fastens itself to the mug.
- Any cleaning and maintenance tips for travel mugs?
Answer: If you are the type who frequently travels using your car, do avoid leaving your travel mug on areas in the car exposed to direct sunlight. That way, the lid’s rubber seals will not break down prematurely.
If you’re fond of using a dishwasher, make sure that the item is dishwasher-safe. Take note that nearly all mugs that are double-insulated are not dishwasher-friendly. Always wash this type of mug by hand.
Our Top Picks
Contigo 2034154 AUTOSEAL West Loop Vacuum-Insulated Travel Mug
- Autoseal lid technology
- THERMALOCK Vacuum insulation technology
- Comes with push button
- Fits most vehicle drink holders
Contigo’s Autoseal Vacuum-Insulated Travel Mug is made from high-quality stainless steel—its design allows it to faithfully maintain hot and cold drink temperatures up to 12 hours. It makes for convenient one-hand drinking while driving—press a button to imbibe. The mug also comes with Easy-Clean lids and a lid lock to avoid messy spills and leaks while you’re on the go. Check more information on this product in this review.
Thermos Stainless King 16 Ounce Travel Tumbler
- Vacuum-insulation technology
- Sturdy stainless steel construction
- Cool-to-touch for cold drinks, sweat-proof for cold
- Integrated tea hook
Lots of people trust Thermos because it is a brand that’s been in the business for a long time. The King comes with vacuum insulation technology for maintaining maximum beverage temps. It is designed with hardwearing stainless steel structure, a built-in tea hook and a handle. One great advantage of this mug is that it remains sweat-proof for cold stuff and cool to the touch with hot beverages. See how this works in this review.
Zojirushi SM-KHE48AG Stainless Steel Mug, 16-Ounce
- Stainless steel construction
- Vacuum-insulation technology
- 154 degrees F heat retention at 6 hours
- Compact design
The Zojirushi SM-KHE48BA has a sleek and compact design with a dependable stainless steel construction. Due to the quality stainless steel design and vacuum-insulation, it can retain hot drink temps at 154 degrees up to 6 hours. The same thing can be said for colder beverages. It is a snap to clean and its durable construction will not get bent or dented easily. Check how this mug fares in this video review.
BEAST 20oz Tumbler Insulated Stainless Steel Coffee Cup with Lid
- Great insulation
- Decent temperature retention
- Premium 304 18/8 food-grade stainless steel
- Electro-polished interiors
The Double Wall Vacuum Insulated Stainless Steel travel mug from Hydro Flask fulfills its promise of retaining the temperature of your choice hot and cold drink. It comes with a wider mouth lid for an easy-cleanup and is crafted from first-rate 18/8 stainless steel material for better temperature retention and durability. Check how this works in this review.
CHILLOUT LIFE 20 oz Stainless Steel Tumbler with Lid
- Double wall vacuum-insulation
- Sweat-free design
- High-quality 18/8 stainless steel
- Easy to clean
Chillout Life’s Stainless Steel Tumbler model is designed with the effective double wall vacuum-insulation which means our drinks will remain chilled and hot up to 24 hours. The premium quality stainless steel fulfills its promise of excellent temperature retention and durability. The tumbler has a sweat-free and cool-to-touch design so you can comfortably handle this mug whether hot or cold. Get more insight on this product in this review.