You know how bothersome ants are when you had to deal with them creeping and crawling all over your kitchen, taking bits of food and liquids for their stash. Ants always find a way to get inside the house, so to keep them away from your home, you need to tackle the problem at the source. Read all about outdoor ant killers and related products in our guide.
- Why are there plenty of ants in my yard?
Answer: Ants create colonies outdoors due to several reasons. For one, the area offers them a good place to acquire their food and liquid needs.
You can prevent ant infestation by using insecticides to kill and drive them away. There are ways in which you can get rid of them naturally as well. A good outdoor ant killer is always effective in ridding your yard of pesky ants.
- What ants are usually found outdoors?
Answer: There are two common ants that build colonies outside homes and they are the following:
• Carpenter ant – Carpenter ants are usually found outdoors, preferring to be around damp wood, close to decaying trees and nubbins. They can take up residence in your home if you have a habit of storing wood in there. Carpenter ants are larger than other ant species.
• Fire ants – Fire ants have the habit of creating sizable colonies and their bites are really nasty. There are also people who are allergic to the sting of the fire ant so it’s recommended that you tackle fire ant colonies as soon as you can.
- What are the different types of outdoor ant killers?
Answer: The different kinds of outdoor ant killers include the bait station, granular bait, ant gels and spray form insecticides.
- What the best place to put or apply outdoor ant killers?
Answer: Ant killers like bait stations offer the best results when placed along trails made by ants. You should also place the bait stations where there is plenty of ant activity. Always remember to keep pets and children away from these insecticides.
Our Top Picks
Ortho 0275510 Fire Ant Killer, 2-12 OZ Bottles
- Contains 50 percent acephate
- Kills within minutes
- Does not require watering-in
- Can treat up to 162 mounds
Fire ants are not only annoying, they can be downright scary for people who are allergic to them because their stings can be lethal. Thus, it is best that you take care of your fire ant problem really quick by means of the Ortho Fire Ant Killer. Apply the stuff on those humongous fire ant mounds in your yard, even shrubs, flowers and trees that these ants took hold of. Best used when fire ants are active. See this at work in this review.
Bayer Advanced 700335 Carpenter Ant and Termite Killer Power Sprayer, 1.3-Gallon
- Broad-spectrum for outdoor use
- Eliminates more than 60 listed insects
- Ergo-Grip battery-operated spray device
- Good for lawns, yards, foundations and more
The Bayer Advanced Carpenter Ant and Termite Killer Power Sprayer will take care of your pest problem from the get-go. It has broad-spectrum use so you can take advantage of the powerful sprayer on areas like the yard, deck, patio, foundations and trenches. Spray it on wood piles as well for good measure. The spray kills upon contact and it’s effective on more than 60 listed pests. Get more insight on this product in this review.
Bayer 700288S Advanced Complete Insect Killer for Soil and Turf Granules, 10-Pound
- Eliminates soil and surface pests
- Can kill pests within 24 hours
- Gets rid of pests for up to 3 months
- Good for areas measuring up to 5,000 sq. ft.
The Bayer Advanced Complete Insect Killer for Soil and Turf is a granule-type insecticide that’s capable of tackling both surface and soil insects. It eliminates ants, ticks, fleas plus scads of other insects on the product’s list. The insecticide also brings up to 3 months of protection since it will continuously get rid of pests around for up to 3 months. Get more information on the product in this review.
Raid Ant & Roach Killer Defense System, Outdoor Fresh Scent, 17.5 OZ
- Eliminates pests upon contact
- Works up to 4 weeks
- Does not leave chemical smell
- Fresh outdoorsy scent
The Raid Ant and Roach Killer Defense System is one of the better insecticides out there when it comes to scents. This one has a fresh and clean scent that is quite reminiscent of the outdoors. It works hard by ridding pests out of your yard and garden thru contact. The product also works for up to 4 weeks. You can use it with other insect control products from the brand’s Defense System line to manage insects from ants, roaches and other pests on the list. Check how this one works in this review.
Terro T1812 Outdoor Liquid Ant Killer Bait Stakes
- Ready to use bait
- Weatherproof bait stakes
- Slow-killing action
- Tiered bait reduces waste
The Terro Outdoor Liquid Ant Killer Bait Stakes is designed to take on all ant species. The formula is housed in handy, no-mess-and-spills containers too, making them a cinch to use both indoors and outdoors. The bait also comes with slow-killing action to guarantee that the poison will be brought by the worker ants to their queen and colony. Borax is used to both attract and kill ants. Check for more info in this review.
Taking advantage of the wide selection of ant killer products in the market today will help in keeping pests away from your yard and home. When the creepy crawlies are away, the outdoors is a more pleasant spot to relax and bond with friends and family.