There is an overwhelming number of perfumes available these days that shopping for one can be a headache. One way to make fragrance-shopping an easier task is to know essential facts about fragrances. Whether you are looking for scents for yourself, a friend or loved one, knowing the basics will help make the search for quality products simpler.
- What is fragrance concentration and what are its types?
Answer: Fragrance concentration signifies the strength that a fragrance comes with. Scents with a higher level of it include more perfume oils and minimal alcohol. Here are the different types of fragrance concentrations:
• Parfum – also known as pure perfume or extrait de parfum. Contains 15-40% fragrance but most products usually include 20-30% at best. Lasts 6-8 hours on skin. The most expensive kind.
• Eau de parfum (EDP) – contains 15-20% fragrance. Lasts for 4-5 hours on skin.
• Eau de toilette (EDT) – contains 5-15% fragrance. Lasts 2-3 hours on skin so it requires reapplication.
• Eau de cologne (EDC) – contains 2-4% fragrance. Lasts up to 2 hours on skin.
• Eau fraiche – contains 1-3% fragrance. The same as EDCs in longevity.
- What does a fragrance note refer to?
Answer: Perfumes are composed of a variety of scents, which are referred to as notes. The top note is often light and lingers for up to 10 minutes. Middle notes become more obvious around 15 minutes after spraying and this lasts up to an hour. Bottom notes are the heavy ingredients and lasts for several hours.
- What are the different types of fragrances?
Answer: Here are 8 of the most basic fragrance types:
- How can I retain my perfume’s scent?
Answer: Make sure that you keep all of your fragrances in a cool, dark place at all times. Keep them away from hot areas and direct sunlight. To guarantee a longer shelf life, keep an opened bottle of perfume stored in its original box.
Our Top Picks
Pheromones For Women Pheromone Perfume Spray [Attract Men] – Elegance, Extra Strength Human Pheromones Formula by RawChemistry (1 Fl. Oz Spray)
- Elegant, delicate scent
- Quality pheromone formula
- 50 mg pheromone blend
- Good longevity
The Pheromones for Women Pheromone Perfume Spray has a potent formula of 50 milligrams pheromones which include copulins and Estratetraenol. It has a chic yet delicate and feminine scent which is striking to the nose of all sexes. The scent also helps users relax and calm their senses. Potent stuff, it does attract attention indeed. See more in this review.
Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker for Women, Eau de Parfum, 3.4-Ounce Spray Bottle
- Musky, fresh spicy scent
- Mandarin, lavender and bergamot top notes
- Orchid, patchouli and narcissus middle notes
- Musk, cedar and wood base notes
Sarah Jessica Parker’s Lovely EDP has a musky, aromatic and fresh spicy scent that sprays finely. The lavender and musk notes are quite perceptible. It features a subtle drydown but the scent is still distinguishable. It is a great fragrance for spring and summer. Very lady-like composition. Nice sillage and longevity as well. Check for more info in this review.
Happy By Clinique For Women, EDP, 3.4 Oz
- Citrusy-floral scent
- Citrus, plum, bergamot and apple top notes
- Orchid, freesia, lily of the valley and rose middle notes
- Mimosa, lily, magnolia, amber and musk base notes
Clinique’s Happy is made for life’s happiest moments and celebrations. Thus, the scent evokes the sparkle and vivacity of citrus fruits and sweet harvests like apple coupled with the green freshness of bergamot. The scent is light, playful and feminine. Great after a nice shower and as a sunny weather or beach frag. Very simple in formulation, good sillage and longevity, not overpowering. Get more info in this review.
Vera Wang Princess by Vera Wang for Women – 3.4 Ounce EDT Spray
- Sweet white floral scent
- Apricot, mandarin, apple and water lily top notes
- Tuberose, guava, dark chocolate and tiare flower middle notes
- Amber, vanilla and wood base notes
Vera Wang’s Princess is sweet but not too cloying nor girlie, with its sweetness coming from notes like dark chocolate, guava and apple notes. The effect is a light and elegant scent that is absolutely perfect for date nights. The scent is also great as a transition fragrance—it has enough sultriness for spring but also nice to wear during the summer. A cozy and cheerful gourmand. Get more ideas in this review.
Versace Bright Crystal Eau de Toilette Spray for Women, 3 Fl. Oz
- Fresh, aquatic floral
- Yuzu, pomegranate and water top notes
- Lotus, magnolia and peony middle notes
- Musk, mahogany and amber base notes
Bright Crystal from Versace is airy and bright—just perfect for the summer. It is sweet and tart, but a sweetness/tartness that is tempered down by the water notes. Has a potent yuzu opening then segues into an effervescent and fresh scent. Lasts up to 5 hours, A nice fragrance for young ladies. A perfume that indeed deserves its name. See more in this review.
Elizabeth Taylor White Diamonds, 3.3 Fluid Ounce
- Woody white floral
- Aldehydes, orange, lily, neroli and bergamot top notes
- Carnation, cinnamon, tuberose, jasmine, rose, ylang-ylang middle notes
- Amber, patchouli, musk and oakmoss base notes
Liz Taylor’s White Diamonds is a classic in the industry, one of the most distinguished in celebrity frags. The scent is an intense floral but formulated just right that it is not cloying and overpowering. It exudes elegance and beauty pretty much like its namesake. Excellent sillage and longevity. A sophisticated fragrance for both the young and old. Get more info in this review.
High-quality perfumes are worth the splurge—they are made from premium ingredients and crafted with care, presented as fine works of art by its artists.