Being in a wheelchair for extended periods of time can be especially difficult if you are dealing with an injury to your lower body. Wheelchair cushions are especially great for relieving pressure to the coccyx (tailbone) area as they provide a little bit more padding in just the right places, or in some models, offer a cutout for the coccyx area which puts pressure on the areas around the tailbone instead.
Wheelchair cushions are also great for providing just a little bit more comfort where it’s needed. Whatever your reason is for looking for a wheelchair cushion, our buyer’s guide below offers some great picks for a wide variety of use cases. Take a look and choose the one below that best fits your needs.
- What is a wheelchair cushion?
Answer: Wheelchairs are valuable devices for people who are disabled or have mobility problems. The cushion has to support the spine properly, and they are designed to provide comfort and protection against injury for wheelchair users. They also aid in properly positioning the user in the correct posture.
- What is the purpose of using a wheelchair cushion?
Answer:Wheelchair cushions, also known as gel cushions, seat pads, and coccyx cushions, help to make long periods of sitting in wheelchairs more comfortable, while also protecting the user from skin damage, pressure sores, and other negative side effects.
- What are the types of wheelchair cushions?
Answer: Foam wheelchair cushions, gel wheelchair cushions, air Flotation Wheelchair Cushions, urethane honeycomb wheelchair cushions.
- What are the important features of a wheelchair cushion?
Answer: The round bottom reduces hammock effect of sling seat, Flat bottom cushions are used with solid seats. Coccyx cutout wheelchair cushions relieve pressure in coccyx area. Waterfall front cushions reduce pressure behind the knees and thighs. Pommel wheelchair cushions are used for leg abduction and easy transfer.
Our Top Picks
DMI Seat Cushion
- Easily Add Support, Comfort, and Height to Any Chair
- FSA Eligible
- Cushion Conforms to Your Natural Body Contours
- Made of high density foam that will not crack or crumble
The DMI Seat Cushion has made daily wheelchair usage more comfortable and offered additional seat height. It is very comfortable and a supportive cushion. It is perfect to use for the rollator as well.
CYLEN Home-Memory Foam Bamboo Charcoal Infused Ventilated Orthopedic Seat Cushion
- Provides superb ventilation ability and reduces temperature from rising
- Provides quality seating comfort and pain relief experience
- Provides pressure relief from your tailbone and lower back areat
- Comes with 5 year warranty and 60 days no hassle return
The CYLEN Home-Memory Foam Bamboo Charcoal Infused Ventilated Orthopedic Seat Cushion for Car and Wheelchair worked tremendously well and will give relief to becoming more active and healthy. It is great for a tailbone injury. It is extremely comfortable and will exceed expectations.
Vive Wheelchair Cushion
- Has 4 layers of supportive comfort
- Dynamic fluid allows the cushion to distribute pressure evenly across the contact surface
- 2 different layers of waterproof material to ensure water will never negatively effect your cushion
- Designed to perfectly fit standard wheelchairs and office chairs
The Vive Wheelchair Cushion has a perfect construction as it has excellent combination of gel and foam. It helps take some pressure off of a patient’s sacrum so there is less pain when sitting. It’s cover is so sturdy but soft and is washable. It can relieve aches and pains and fits perfectly in a wheelchair.
Roho Mosaic Wheelchair Seat Cushion
- Portable and lightweight cushion holds up to 250 lbs
- 3″ high poly vinyl interconnected air cells
- Robust lightweight structure fits most sitting areas and is easy to carry around
- Lycra cover cushion with non-skin mesh bottom is hand washed and air dried
Roho Mosaic Wheelchair Seat Cushion 18″ x 16″ by Roho comes complete with cover, pump and patch material with longer lifespan. A cushion that can be a very good alternative if insurance wont pay for the high end version. Perfect for those who had undergone spinal surgery.