When you have pencils, you need to have sharpeners. Even the most basic of sharpeners are enough to hone our pencils and give them some fine tips. It’s a must for every kid in the classroom, students and artists. Know more about this item in this guide.
- What does a pencil sharpener do exactly?
Answer: Back in the day, pencils were sharpened using knives or sand paper. Now we have pencil sharpeners to quickly do this task. This is a mechanical device which is used to hone pencil tips—it shaves the core and the casing of wooden pencils till it completely shapes the point into a sharper form. Pencil sharpeners are either manually operated, electric or battery-operated.
- What are the different kinds of pencil sharpeners?
• Hand-rotated – Has a small, handy shape with two holes for sharpening pencils. The pencil can be spun to the sharpener or have the tip moved against the blades.
• Hand-cranked – Comes with cranks which rotates the cylinder burrs while at the same time, the pencil is held in position by integrated claws of the device.
• Electric – Built with small motors which spins the blades at a high speed to sharpen pencils quickly, consistently and conveniently.
• Battery-operated – Automatically sharpens pencils as soon as it gets placed inside the sharpener. Easy to use and convenient.
- What should I look for in a pencil sharpener?
Answer: Decide whether you are after convenience or just want something handy that you can tote along but won’t mind manually cranking the sharpener. If you’re after convenience and faster, more consistent pencil points, opt for battery-operated or electric sharpeners. If you want something handy, you can opt for a regular, high-quality pencil sharpener. Consider the sharpener size as well and go for something that gives you enough size options. Also, quality sharpeners have blades which are made from stainless steel and are corrosion-resistant.
- How do you care for pencil sharpeners?
Answer: For manual pencil sharpeners, always keep them in a covered, secure case so they won’t get damaged or lost. Make sure to keep sharpeners away from moisture as well since this can decrease corrosion risks.
Our Top Picks
X-ACTO School Pro Classroom Electric Pencil Sharpener, Blue, 1 Count
- Safe-Start feature
- Thermal overload shuts off motor
- Bigger, transparent shavings reservoir
- Automatic reset when cool
This X-Acto electric pencil sharpener has a strong, durable feel and obvious excellent construction. This is the sharpener to go if you frequently sharpen pencils by the bulk. It makes for a good office and school sharpener due to its Safe Start, thermal overload and automatic reset features. The device also comes with suction cups on the bottom to prevent it from tipping off. Get more info in this review.
Prismacolor Scholar Pencil Sharpener and Latex-Free Eraser Bundle, 2 Count
- Includes latex/PVC-free eraser
- Has convenient triangular design
- Portable and easy to clean
- Includes sharpened steel
The Prismacolor pencil sharpener has German-made, sharpened blades which hones pencil tips consistently and accurately. It works even on pencils with softer leads and will not break them up during the sharpening process. This is an efficient device which has a practical triangular design and a bonus latex and PVC-free eraser. Easy to empty too due to its transparent color. See how this works in this video.
OfficePro Electric Pencil Sharpener – For School and Classroom, Helical Steel Blade Sharpens All Pencils Including Color, Auto-Stop Feature, Ultra-Portable – Batteries Included by Officeline
- Auto-Stop feature
- Operates using 4 AA batteries
- Includes high-quality stainless-steel helical blade
- Includes shavings receptacle
This OfficePro Electric Pencil Sharpener is one of the easiest and safest battery-operated sharpeners around. It has great safety features—the Auto-Stop feature for one, is a welcome addition while its quality stainless-steel helical blade operates together with this specific feature for better, sharper and consistent pencil points. The device also comes with long-lasting construction and ergonomic design. Get more info in this review.
STAEDTLER pencil sharpener, premium quality sharpener with screw-on lid, prevents accidental openings, compact size for pencil case and work-station, 511 63BK
- Metal sharpener type
- Includes screw-on lid
- Portable and compact size
- Comes in fun, bright colors
The Staedtler Pencil Sharpener is your handy pencil sharpener—its convenient shape is perfect for traveling while its screw-on lid makes for a secure cover which prevents unintentional opening. It also makes emptying the sharpener easier. The sharpener creates consistent, fine points and come in a good range of vivid colors too. Get more insight on this item in this review.
School Smart Vertical Pencil Sharpener, Electric
- Quick-acting pencil sharpener
- Bigger shaving reservoir
- Includes helical steel blades
- Auto-Stop mechanism
This electric Vertical Pencil Sharpener from School Smart is quite durable thanks to its excellent construction. It will not get damaged or get out of kilter with just a few uses. It’s crafted for long-term use. The helical blade was also helpful in achieving consistent, fine points for pencils. The sharpener also includes Auto-Stop for safety during use. Get more info in this review.
Electric & Battery Operated Pencil Sharpener – for Home Office & School, Sharpens Evenly Every Time, Great for Everyone that Wants the Perfect Point (Black) by OfficeGoods
- 3 power options
- Child-friendly safety feature
- Portable and compact size
- Quick delivery
This OfficeGoods pencil sharpener is quite versatile when it comes to power options since it can be operated using whichever 3 power options it offers—through a USB cord, an AC adapter or batteries. The sharpener delivers when it comes to consistently sharp points without breaking the lead. Bulk sharpening will not lessen its efficiency as well. See how this works in this review.
We hope our guide has helped you discover the best pencil sharpener for you, whether it’s battery, electric or manually-operated.